Monday, July 25, 2011

Rain and pain

Late Sunday afternoon, I stood up from the dinette and twisted my right knee. Have no idea what I did, but I could not stand on that leg. The pain was excruciating. Either I have torn another cartilage or pulled a tendon. R.I.C.E treatment along with analgesics and an uncomfortable night in bed. It was marginally better on Monday and I continued with the treatment. The emphasis being on REST. Today my knee is much better. I am going to have to see my knee doc as this is the knee I had arthroscopy on a few years back. I see a knee replacement in my future.

Today is a damp rainy day and we did not venture out too far. It is interesting watching the big rigs move out, to be replaced a couple hours later by more big rigs. What I have learned is the most of these full timers are members with various camping membership groups. Resorts Of Distinction, Adventure Outdoor Resorts, Coast to Coast, Western Horizons etc. Different memberships have different rules as to how long you can stay at one place and how much you pay. In Coast to Coast we paid $499 and we have an annual renewal rate for $89. We can stay at their resorts for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. There are not a lot of resorts in Ontario, but there are lots in the US. we received free RPI membership which includes Thousand Trails. Affiliated membership resorts are Good Neighbor, Western Horizons among others that I cannot remember at the moment. I will fill them in later!

In all this coming and going of full timers rigs, people get to meet other campers and somewhere along the line, they will meet up again at other resorts. They do a circuit, moving from resort to resort to comply with time in and out rules. Inevitably you get to meet the same people at different places. A community on wheels. Most of the rigs are fifth wheels as they are the most spacious. I prefer the motorhome pulling an economical car behind. I cannot imagine sight seeing in a honking great gas guzzling truck, even if I have to have a little less room in my home. I have no desire for a fifth wheel.

By evening today, my knee is a whole lot better and I can actually walk around a bit. Popped over to George and Sue to ask more questions re Internet access and satellite etc. They have been on the road for 5 years, so they have a lot of information to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment